Thursday, May 19, 2005

The Defeat

As luck would have it, the Indian Cricket team happened to be in Bangladesh during the summer school. They had consistently beaten the Bangladeshi team till the fateful day and nobody in BARD ever talked to us about it. However, on this particular day, we (myself and Amit) noticed a good number of people gathered around the television set in the dining hall. As we sat down on a table, and started to have the famous Comilla dessert (Ros Malai…Bengali for Cheese Balls dipped in a very sweet creamy sauce), we found out that India was on the verge of a certain defeat at the hands of Bangladesh. For the first time, I realized that I was very far away from home…India lost and celebrations continued through the night. I came back to my room …heart broken…This defeat would not have mattered much to me back home…But I was not at home and the people around me had just made me realize that.

No comments: